These are a few of my favorite things...
- Readers Digest© Guide to Sewing – an old edition is just as fantastic as a new one. Great step-by-step pictures! This book serves as a great reference for the novice and the professional.
- Fabric Savvy© and More Fabric Savvy©– Sandra Betzina – an encyclopedia, of sorts. These books tell you the properties of each fabric, and precisely how to sew with them.
- I love Kenmore, Janome, Brother, and Baby Lock. Go computerized if it fits your budget!
Fabric Stores in San Francisco
- Fabrix on Clement Street – this place is a like a treasure hunt, you never know what you’ll find. Great prices, great fabric, great trims, and never the same place twice! (note: patterns and notions are not sold here)
- Discount Fabrics – multiple locations in SF. Nice variety of garment and home decorator fabrics, notions, and patterns. This store will be a one-stop place for project supplies.
- Fabric Outlet in the Mission – This is the place to go for fun fabrics with flair (think fake furs)! They have garment and home decorator fabric, patterns, and notions. This store will be a one-stop place for project supplies.
- Mendels Far-Out Fabrics in the Haight - this is a fabric and art supply store. Head to the back of the store for the sewing section. You will find all the basic sewing supplies, buttons, and thread. A neat place to visit for faux fur, costume-type fabrics and nice cotton fabrics.
- New Look Patterns© have modern styles, great sizing information on the envelope, and the instructions are beginner-friendly. Bonus – they are priced at just $3.99! I love them for beginners!